baslinux - [BL] Experiences with BasicLinux - the down side

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Experiences with BasicLinux - the down side
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:28:43 +0200

As already described in the first part of my posting, graphics (X-windows)
are not yet fully satisfactory and i couldn't get the "standard Xserver" run
properly. On the other hand, other linux distros like knoppix and morphix do
run on that mashine (well "run" is an euphemism, they rather "crawl" but they
work at least). So it must be possible.

Therefore i looked for software to support the Intel 810 and i believe to
have found some, eg.g. here: "http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/blfiles.htm";.
That page however states that it requires a 2.4 kernel, while BasicLinux has
only a 2.2.26 kernel. Lukily i also found on the same site a "FULL 2.4.31
KERNEL" which i downloaded to replace the one that came with the initial
BasicLinux package.

The system even boots with that new kernel, however unlike the original
kernel, the 2.4 kernel, due to some reason which is still unknown to me,
insists to mount the root filesystem in read-only mode, which is the cause
for many more problems:

/<#>cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.2.26 (root AT senior2.16) (gcc version egcs-2.91.66
19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #6 Fri Nov 11 17:21:34 NZDT 2005
/<#>cat /etc/mtab
/dev/hda5 /DOS msdos rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/root.old /initrd ext2 rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0

/<#>cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.31 (root AT localhost.localdomain) (gcc version 3.2.3) #23 Wed
Dec 21 15:53:09 PST 2005
/<#>cat /etc/mtab
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root.old /initrd ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/hda5 /initrd/DOS msdos rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext2 ro 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0

What ist the reason for this unlike behaviour, and what can i do about it?