baslinux - Re: [BL] Newbie starting with BL3.5

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Newbie starting with BL3.5
  • Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 14:35:59 +1300

Message from Steven
===================

> There is nothing on my HD, I would like to copy BL3.5
> directly to the HD. How do I do this?

First, you need to partition the HD. I suggest you make
two partitions: a linux partition and a swap partition.
You might also like to leave some HD space unpartitioned
in case you want to create a third (or fourth) partition
in the future.

The tool you use to partition the HD is fdisk:
--------------
fdisk /dev/hda
--------------
press n to create a new partition (primary, not extended)
press t to change the partition type (82 for swap).

I suggest you make the first partition (/dev/hda1) swap
and the second partition (/dev/hda2) Linux.

The second step is to format the Linux partition.
The tool for this is mke2fs:
----------------
mke2fs /dev/hda2
That assumes that /dev/hda2 is your Linux partition.

The third step is to mount your Linux partition at /hd:
mount /dev/hda2 /hd

The fourth step is to install BL3 to your Linux partition:
install-to-hd