baslinux - Re: [BL] Firefox

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Firefox
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 00:14:01 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

You also have the option of displaying only
images only from the main page.

I don't understand what you mean here.

It can block images whose address is not the same
as the page you are displaying. A lot of advertising
images are sourced from outside addresses.

Third-party images, ad banners?

Even Slackware 11 would need later libraries.
Where did you find them?
Obviously you did NOT find them for Firefox 3, just 1.5
which SW11 already has.

I imagine you would get them from Slackware 12.

BL3 would need a rather large upgrade package!

I recommend against upgrading the libraries in BL3.
BL2 is a much better platform for upgrading. It
was probably a mistake for me to give instructions
for upgrading the libraries in BL3. Installing the
bloated glibc2 library and the fancy Opera browser
undermines the purpose of BL3.

What do you recommend for a 233Mhz laptop with 96MB RAM?
It runs Firefox 3 under Windows 2000.
It runs Opera 9.63 (8.54 is faster) under BL3.
Since BL3 uses less RAM than Win2K, Firefox 3 ought to work.

BL3 is more beginner friendly - everything in the menu.

BL4 with Firefox (3?) for 'newer' computers would be nice
for linux newbies who really just want internet without
the crashes and viruses.

Bl3 was designed for old laptops too slow to run
a modern Linux distribution. The purpose was to
provide a worthwhile Linux foundation and some
useful applications (magicpoint, AbiWord, sylpheed
and links2). BL3 is for 486s and low-end Pentiums
with low RAM and limited HD space. It is not
intended to be a platform for upgrading to more
modern libraries and applications.

It works anyway, but there is too much javascript
out there for most browsers.

Have you found sites that Firefox 1.5 can handle and Opera cannot?
I found a site neither could handle, and one they handled differently in that FF displayed as designed and Opera made you page to the bottom to view every link after clicking on it.