baslinux - Re: [BL] aol mail with BL3.5 at 100Mhz/24MB

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] aol mail with BL3.5 at 100Mhz/24MB
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:12:14 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

On 01/10/2009 10:03 PM, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
We are trying to fix a laptop computer (ME) for someone in another town
for doing email at wifi hotspots, and I offered him a loaner. Having seen
what just happened to an XP computer that got hit by a virus (which
disabled the antivirus program and let in 84 others in one browsing
session) I would not lend anyone a Windows computer without antivirus
protection, and my laptops won't be usable with the antivirus program
slowing them down. BL has never gotten viruses that I know of.

Look into SuRun or SuDown. I've also managed to avoid getting viruses on
XP by using Firefox and NoScript, and you can use K-Meleon with NoScript
if the laptop can't handle FF (AdBlock+ is nice too).

The loaner laptop is 100Mhz with 24MB memory and will not run XP. Or KDE.
Or Firefox. I used it with BL and Opera 8.54. 9.63 uses too much RAM.

Would Win98 run better in 24MB than BL3.5 does? I could ask him to use it only for email.

Opera 8.54 with JWM in BL3 at 800x600 let me sign up slowly (use BASIC
non-ActiveX LITE version as home page) and send AOL mail (default is HTML
but settings, compose lets you remove that - unbeknownst to everyone
writing me from AOL) but the SUBMIT button was nearly off screen bottom.
Zoom out. No way to optimize for a smaller screen (unlike fastmail.fm).

Is it necessary to use webmail? Wouldn't it be possible to setup an account in Claws or mutt?

AOL does offer POP mail. Thanks for the idea. I might try him with Sylpheed.

Lynx would not log in. Needs javascript? It works with fastmail and (slowly) gmail.

I have one cardbus wireless card, D-Link 650+, which worked in XP but not in 98 (ipconfig /renew_all did not find my nearby wireless router).

The linux driver acx_pci.o cannot find an irq and suggested pci=irqbios. Where do I type this?

It also told me this was a stupid card and to get something better.

The Linksys WPC11 v 4 needs ndiswrapper for linux, and the Win98 driver installed but ipconfig failed again. (In XP setup would not run - there is even an XP subdirectory).

Sindi Keesan