baslinux - Re: [BL] aol mail with BL3.5 at 100Mhz/24MB

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] aol mail with BL3.5 at 100Mhz/24MB
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 02:16:32 -0500

On 01/10/2009 10:03 PM, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
We are trying to fix a laptop computer (ME) for someone in another town
for doing email at wifi hotspots, and I offered him a loaner. Having seen
what just happened to an XP computer that got hit by a virus (which
disabled the antivirus program and let in 84 others in one browsing
session) I would not lend anyone a Windows computer without antivirus
protection, and my laptops won't be usable with the antivirus program
slowing them down. BL has never gotten viruses that I know of.

Look into SuRun or SuDown. I've also managed to avoid getting viruses on XP by using Firefox and NoScript, and you can use K-Meleon with NoScript if the laptop can't handle FF (AdBlock+ is nice too).
Opera 8.54 with JWM in BL3 at 800x600 let me sign up slowly (use BASIC
non-ActiveX LITE version as home page) and send AOL mail (default is HTML
but settings, compose lets you remove that - unbeknownst to everyone
writing me from AOL) but the SUBMIT button was nearly off screen bottom.
Zoom out. No way to optimize for a smaller screen (unlike fastmail.fm).
Is it necessary to use webmail? Wouldn't it be possible to setup an account
in Claws or mutt?

Sindi Keesan