baslinux - Re: [BL] Firefox 3

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Firefox 3
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 02:57:28 +0000 (UTC)

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

Does the version of Firefox which works with BL let
you register with Facebook?

I've not tried it. However, Opera 8.52 does.
I just registered to Facebook without problem.

I found Opera 8.54 by a search on opera and archive.
http://arc.opera.com/pub/....
About 6MB download at 1.1K/sec if done directly.
I downloaded to sdf.lonestar.org where I have an account, at 15K/sec, then from there to my computer at 4K/sec.

It works the same as version 9, but I found a way to make the 'you don't have javascript enabled' message go away by hitting Shift-I and Shift-G in some order, and ended up with some blue patches on the screen, and registration worked. This may be author style instead of user style.
I had to turn on graphics to sign up (type the two words you see).

You have to confirm it by getting an email from them, and going to the URL that they post. All facebook pages are invisible without javascript so I could not do that with Pine, and had to forward my mail to sdf and use webmail. (I could have copied down the long URL instead). And some of them would not work without a mouse (keyboard commands did nothing).

I signed up my partner and sent a message to his relative to let us know his email address so we don't need to use facebook, which takes 2 min to load a page with about 50 words on it plus LOTS of javascript. It seems to be the lazy person's website substitute.

I recent Firefox might still be useful in case Opera cannot handle certain sites, and since Opera 9.52 (unlike 9.50) requires glibc 2.3(.2?). Firefox is said to work with glibc 2.1.2 but maybe the precompiled version does not. Would someone with broadband check it out? Precompiled Pango would probably require a very recent glibc (2007).