baslinux - [BL] Firefox 3

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Firefox 3
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 18:07:39 +0000 (UTC)

Does the version of Firefox which works with BL let you register with Facebook? Opera 9.50 does not work (last version to work with glibc 2.2.5) - says javascript is disabled and I am sure it is not. My partner was asked to sign up with facebook to communicate with a relative who does not like to do email. The site suggests Mozilla.

The Mozilla site has extremely large pages and a slow download.

Firefox 3 is 7 MB (no worse than Opera 9.5)
It also needs:

GTK+ 2.10
GLIBC 2.12 (Opera 9.51 wants 2.3).
Pango 1.14
X.Org 1

www.pango.org says it forms the core of text and font handling for GTK+-2 and is used for internationalization of characters.

Version 1.14 came out Jan 2007. The bz2 source code is 1.2M. It is difficult to build from source, says the pango site. Would anyone with more experience like to try it and see if Firefox 3 will work in BL3 with glibc 2? Pango 1.21.5 (latest) bz2 is 1.4M.

Steven, what are the requirements for the Firefox that you got working?

Sindi Keesan