baslinux - Re: [BL] gateway between two laptops

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] gateway between two laptops
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 23:31:07

On 21 Aug 08 at 16:36, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
<baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:

>You also need rpc.portmap rpc.mountd rpc.nfsd on one machine and three
>modules (sunrpc lockd nfsd) and rpc.portmap on the other.
>
>See tcpip1.tgz for the above rpc files.
>
>See http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/rpc-on
>and http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/nfs-on
>
>You run nfs-on on the client computer and rpc-on on the gateway (server?)
>computer (with the wireless card, connected to the internet) and you need
>the 'big' (or bare.i Slackware) kernel (or my latest 2.4.31 kernel).

Sindi,

I succeeded with file sharing between the two machines - with the
help of your instructions - a few months ago. Now I am trying
something else. I do not want to look at the files of the gateway
machine, but go online through it. Or do you want to say that I
need to run some kind of gateway server on the gateway machine?

>> - udhpcd -i eth1 on GW machine, returning
>> IP = 10.0.0.2 and DNS = 10.0.0.138
>
>(I don't think I needed that part - you just have to assign IP numbersand
>know what they are on both machines).

I assigned 192.168.1.1 to eth0 for the LAN, 10.0.0.2 is the address
of the wifi card on eth1 assigned automatically by the dhcp server.

>See my scripts. Several steps missing.
>Sindi

You probably mean your posts from 15 April, which I still have in
my archive:

> --------- old mail ----------------------------
> Insert network modules on both computers
>
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 on the gateway (connected to the internet)
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 on the other computer
>
> On the second computer, tell it which computer is the gateway:
> route add default gw 192.168.1.1
>
> You also need to set up a firewall on the default gateway computer
> before
> you connect it to the internet.
>
> Get ipchains from Slackware (tcpip2.tgz package - you probably only
> need
> that one file unless you also want dhcpd or ytalk or ncftp).
>
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
> ipchains -P forward DENY
> ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.100/24 -j MASQ
>
> There was something about 'ipchains line 192.168.1.0' - ?????
>
> I think this lets only things on the same local network access each
> other or
> the internet, without letting things on the internet access the LAN.

May be my mistake was that I thought firewall is something what only
makes a working connection more secure. Now it seems to me that there
will not be a connection at all without the firewall. So I will get
ipchains and try again.

> See
> https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2007-
> September/014228.html and related postings.

I see. You had already explained the whole thing to me. More than
once, and very patiently. But I obviously did not understand very
much of it that time. And I could not get the network cards to run,
that time, so I could not test these things.

Thanks a lot,
Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov