baslinux - Re: [BL] Could I use BasicLinux on a server?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Could I use BasicLinux on a server?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 05:42:14 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Meyer wrote:

> I'd like to get some practice with servers, so I'd
> like to setup my old laptop (75 MHz 486, 8 Mb RAM).
> My question is will I be able to use BasicLinux, or
> are there some things that I'll need that won't run
> on BL 3.5?

You can run some servers on BL3, but it is very insecure.
Fine for practice, but not recommended for real world use.

> I know there's an Apache package for Slack 7

Slackware 7 packages do not work on BL3. You should use
packages from Slackware 4. However, there is no need to
install the Apache web server on BL3, BL3 already has a
web server built in.

> and SQLite available,

There is an SQLite package for BL3, but I don't think
it can function as a server. AFAIK it is single user
only.

> but I'm not sure on the mail server.

Just for fun, I set up a mail server (from Slack 4)
on BL3 a year ago. It took a bit of tweaking, but
it worked.

Although it is possible to run servers on BL3, it
would be much easier (and much more secure) to use
BL2 (and packages from Slackware 7).