baslinux - Re: [BL] Getting a D-Link DL-G650 to work?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Getting a D-Link DL-G650 to work?
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 20:55:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Sindi,

--- baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> I found this model listed as Wireless-G, which
> means it is a very new one

Not exactly *very* new -- i've had it for
over 2 years, and i bought it as "refurbished"
at Fry's, which means that someone else had
already bought it, used it, and returned it
before i got it.

But OK, i suppose in the timeframe which involves
BL, that still counts as "very new" ...

> and they are always cardbus (16-bit cards with
> little gold bumps).

Yes, that's exactly how it looks.

> BL does not support cardbus cards because
> Steven does not have any

:(

> (they don't even fit into the slots of older
> laptops).

Mine slides right into the old Compaq Armada.

> The DWL-650 is an older model that uses
> wvlan_cs.o or maybe orinoco_cs (which probably
> won't work with kernel 2.2). Probably not cardbus.

I saw on the previous posts in this thread that
orinoco_cs was being recommended, and i already
have a copy of that in my DeLi distro ... but
that uses kernel 2.4, so i'm guessing that that
module won't work in BL with kernel 2.2 anyway.

> BL3 is based on a 1999 slackware so a 1999 card
> is much more likely to be supported than a
> brand new one.

Again, this card is not exactly what i would
call "brand new". But it is vintage 2005 or 2006.

> I suggest an aironet 350 for about $20 at ebay.

That's almost what i paid for the machine!
(only $2 less)

Thanks for all the rest of the your info.
I guess i'll have to deal with not being
connected on this box, unless/until i
shell out the money for an old card.

-monz