baslinux - Re: [BL] Getting a D-Link DL-G650 to work?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Getting a D-Link DL-G650 to work?
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 02:17:49 +0000 (UTC)

I found this model listed as Wireless-G, which means it is a very new one and they are always cardbus (16-bit cards with little gold bumps). BL does not support cardbus cards because Steven does not have any (they don't even fit into the slots of older laptops). I tried to compile the cardbus modules for kernel 2.4, but yenta_socket would not compile and there are no longer any experts reading these mails who could help me figure out why.

I got a lot more hits on DWL-G650+, which is a different card.

The DWL-650 is an older model that uses wvlan_cs.o or maybe orinoco_cs (which probably won't work with kernel 2.2). Probably not cardbus.

OpenSuSe did not support this card out of the box but madwifi worked. Someone else tried to use ndiswrapper (that lets you use Windows drivers).

BL3 is based on a 1999 slackware so a 1999 card is much more likely to be supported than a brand new one.

I suggest an aironet 350 for about $20 at ebay. The only cards that I know work with 2.2. kernel are airo based. That is also what Steven has.

Once you find a card that is supported by 2.2 kernel, you need to add some more lines to /etc/pcmcia/config to tell pcmcia which modules to add based on the card's manfid numbers.

Steven is not greatly interested in wireless pcmcia because he still uses a modem (as do I). Maybe someone will give him an orinoco card and he can figure out how to use it with 2.2 kernel. I have three of them now.
You get error messages if you try to insert the modules - they might work better built into the kernel. (That is true for a lot of modules such as PCI IDE controllers).

Sindi Keesan