baslinux - [BL] bzimavns.431 2.4.31 kernel with Nvidia Nforce IDE support

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] bzimavns.431 2.4.31 kernel with Nvidia Nforce IDE support
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 01:52:05 +0000 (UTC)

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/bzimavns.431 and confvns.431
Supports PCI IDE controllers Nvidia Nforce, SiS and VIA (the latter two also supported by vps kernel along with Promise, and none of these three worked as modules).

An Emachine worked with the amd74xx.o nforce PCI IDE module (it went from 3.5 to 6.8 MB/sec transfer speed) but the module would not work in an EPOX board (both about 1.8GHz cpus) due to unresolved symbols. Built into the kernel, it works, and runs the drives at full speed not 6.8MB/sec (20MB/sec for a UDMA-2 IDE drive).

I also provide forcedeth.o for the Nvidia network chip, but don't know what audio these boards use. It was supposed to be i810_audio.o, which does not work here. It does work with the ECS boards.

I got tired of booting the ECS with lilo boot floppy so tackled this EPOX board instead. The EPOX is now working except for USB (after replacing 14 leaky capacitors it passes memtest) though it crashes almost immediately in Win98 or XP. What is linux doing better?

How do I make a lilo boot floppy disk choose between DOS and linux?

  • [BL] bzimavns.431 2.4.31 kernel with Nvidia Nforce IDE support, baslinux, 05/02/2008