baslinux - [BL] glibc 2.2.5 elinks

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] glibc 2.2.5 elinks
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 04:05:39 +0000 (UTC)

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/elinks-0.11.4rc1-small-ssl.gz
1.6 MB unzipped
Testing working at google gmail.

Compiled with SSL and CSS and bookmarks and FTP but no gpm zlib bzlib lua (for writing scripts), gnutls (alternate to opessl), nls, xbel (related to bookmarks), backtraces (whatever those are) or javascript. It took longer to download source code than to compile..

Multicolored text. Follow instructions to type Enter before filling in forms or you will get odd results.

What do zlib and bzlib do anyway, let you view zipped files with the browser?

To compile any version of links with ssl support against uclibc, I would first need to find (compile?) perl for uclibc, then openssl using perl. I probably won't bother.

elinks would be smaller upx'ed, as would the other browsers, but take up as much memory to run.

I don't know how to use elinks.

If I go to a local image there is a line where I can type in zgv % and it will open the image with zgv, or I can choose to save it, or display it as plain text, or cancel. It ran under X and displayed with xv. It displayed a pdf file with svp (console) or xpdf (x).

Run in console mode it uses .3% of my RAM, and in X .4% (like lynx).
links2 text mode used only .2% but does less.

You can add or modify or delete file extensions but I don't see a way to associate them with programs to automate things.

h for history.

This binary is not much smaller than non-graphical links2 but it should be fun to play with while I work on javascript support. I need to patch the js source code from Mozilla.

Dependencies are glibc 2.2.5 libc, libdl, and ld-linux (and probably libresolv and libdns_nss to access anything online without the IP number).

------------------------
A summary of my attempt to compile with javascript support

I extracted the files from js and applied the patch but cannot edit the config.mk (in js) to adjust the $PREFIX variable because I can't find PREFIX. I think I am supposed to change /opt/spidermonkey to /usr/local but I can't find that either.

The two new library files total over 6MB. javascript is not small.
libjs.so has dependencies libm.so.6 libc.so.6 and ld-linux.so.2

Am I correct that only one of these is needed, the .so if you compile dynamically (adds a dependency) or the .a if statically?

After patching:

make -f Makefile.ref
make -f Makefile.ref export

As root or sudo -c
make -f Makefile.ref export install && (ldconfig -v | grep libjs)

Check for libjs.so -> libjs.so (it is there as the last line of
compilation output to the screen and there are /lib/libjs.o and libjs.a)

make clean and configure again but this time I left out --without-spidermonkey and added back zlib and bzlib (which gives two more dependencies in the resulting elinks binary).

1.635M with javascript (in theory) and zlib and bzlib
1.632M without them

Since there is no size increase, I tested to see if javascript is really there. I am told when I try to use it

Unable to retrieve javascript:void(0):
JavaScript support is not enabled.

Various other things are labelled 'Harmless button' at page bottom
that should run javascript scripts but don't.

Makefile.cfg has nothing about spidermonkey in it and .configure does not detect it. Something missing...

Can someone else please tackle elinks with javascript? I can't follow all the instructions.

At least I have one more ssl-enabled browser. Like links and links2, it works at gmail and two shell accounts, but not my library (where lynx does work).