baslinux - [BL] success with USB mass storage and 2.2.26 kernel

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] success with USB mass storage and 2.2.26 kernel
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 22:30:54 -0500 (CDT)

I was able to mount a USB thumb drive on my newly-setup laptop with BL3 and using the 2.2.26 kernel and modules supplied by Steven. Here's a description of what I did after some initial, unsuccessful experimentation with USB.

After my initial attempts at mounting the drive did not succeed, it dawned on me that I might need to load modules in a certain order. Then again, I wasn't exactly sure which modules I needed to use. It turns out that I had initially used the right 5 modules for my system, but I am guessing that loading them in the wrong order was what prevented me from being able to mount and use the drive. I turned up some directions on the web using search terms usbcore+insmod+scsi+uhci that seemed to confirm that loading order of the modules is important. The directions that work for my setup follow.

First, I inserted the USB drive into the USB port. Then I insmod'ed 5 modules in the following order: 1) usbcore; 2) usb-ohci; 3) scsi_mod; 4) sd_mod; and 5) usb-storage (my machine uses usb-ohci but others may need usb-uhci and/or uhci or even ehci: adjust step 2 to your own computer's needs). Once I loaded the modules in that order, a message appeared in the terminal telling me which dev file the usb drive had been assigned to. I then mounted that device file to a mount point I had created in the /mnt directory (mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb). I was then able to cd to that mount point and view the drive's contents.

The USB mass storage device in question is a 512 MB Lexar jump drive. If I have occasion to test other USB mass storage devices, I'll try and post the results.

James