baslinux - Re: [BL] bl3 ssh

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bl3 ssh
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:03:17 +0000 (UTC)

I have posted a ssh server package called dropbear at
httpd://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/
with dropbear key for making keys (see the README for instructions).
Under 200K executable.

It requires libc.so and ld-linux from glibc 2.2.5 (Slackware 8.1), which can be found in my operalib.tgz packages. Also libz (from zlib or elflibs) and libcrypt and libutil (both glibc) so libraries. I can package all these if anyone wants. Or compile dropbear without libz compression ability.

I made and copied both keys to /etc/dropbear as instructed.

If I run dropbear then try to ssh (or dbclient) to my computer from a shell account (to the IP number assigned by my ISP), or if I insert the network module and ifconfig eth0, then try to ssh from my own computer to my own computer, it won't accept my user or root password.

That was yesterday. Today it won't even start the login process (with ssh or dbclient).

I now have a /home/user/.ssh/known_hosts and random_seed, neither of which is recent, and a recent /root/.ssh/known_hosts from yesterday when it started to work (for both root and user - I got to the point where I could enter a password, which was not accepted).

Could someone who has used sshd before try this out in BL3 or BL2?

There are switches to allow login without password, or disallow root logins (the default for inetd telnets), or disable local port forwarding (what does that mean and would it make things more secure?) or remote port forwarding. openssh uses a config file but dropbear seems not to.

The README has something about authorized_keys used the same way as OpenSSH in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys and using dropbearkey -y to get the public-key portion of a private key. .ssh and the key file should be writable only by the user. My /home/user/.ssh appears to be writable only by root, as are the files in it. I just made them o+w but that did not help.

Do I generate a public key with dropbear -y and put that file in ~/.ssh/ as authorized_keys?

Sindi