baslinux - Re: [BL] swap file or swap partition

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] swap file or swap partition
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 06:25:50 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Christof Lange wrote:

> > I don't use a swap file. I recommend people
> > use a swap partition.
>
> is there a difference in performance or why do
> you prefer a swap partition?

Yes, for 2.2 kernels swap partitions are significantly
faster than swap files. Apparently the performance of
swap files has been improved in the 2.6 kernel.

Other reasons why swap partitions are better than swap files:

* Swap files reside on a filesystem which must be mounted.
* Swap files are written in clusters (can be fragmented).
* Power failure while swapping to file can corrupt
the filesystem on which the swap file resides.