baslinux - Re: [BL] considering BL for laptop: questions

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] considering BL for laptop: questions
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 18:35:16 +1300

Message from Steven
===================
James wrote:

> Toshiba Portege 3020ct with a Celeron 300 CPU,
> 96 MB RAM, and a 6 GB HD. Now, I have to decide
> which OS to put on it. BL is a natural choice

On this machine, I would install BL2 (unless I
wanted the easy PCMCIA in BL3 or MagicPoint).

> BL contains only a very limited selection of
> fonts and characters.

That's BL3. BL2 uses Slackware packages for its
foundation and you can install as many font packages
as you want.

> what is the solution? Installing a fuller set of
> fonts from Slack4?

Yes, it should be possible to install font packages
from Slack4 into BL3, but you might get some dramatic
changes to the existing appearance (and perhaps some
minor error messages) as the old fonts are overwritten.
This is not an issue with BL2.

> I know Abiword is available for BL.
> does the version of Abiword that comes with BL export
> to pdf?

I don't think so.

> If BL's Abiword does not export to pdf, can it save
> as or export to ps?

Yes, print to file.