baslinux - Re: [BL] Using BL to clone Slackware

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using BL to clone Slackware
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:08:35 +0000 (UTC)

Install lilo this way: lilo -v
That gives you more information.

That worked perfectly. I had read instructions about lilo -M which looks for an active boot sector, which I did not have, therefore lilo had not installed anything.

As an experiment, I cloned Slackware 11 to two drives, one ext3 and one ext2. The ext3 took up 1.4GB and the ext2 1.0GB. ext3 is supposed to save time and be more secure in case you crash, since it backs up everything and does not need to run e2fsck. The site I read did not mention whether this journaling feature slows down the computer as well as taking up more space. The kernel needs to support it (bigger kernel).
You can mount and read an ext3 file system with a non-ext3 kernel, as ext2. Supposedly you can convert between them without reformatting.

I have crashed out of BL frequently and never lost any files. e2fsck has always fixed the problem. BL is not large enough to worry about e2fsck slowing down boot, but if you have a large linux, you can put it on a newer and faster hard disk, which e2fsck checks faster.

Slackware 11 has xine and xpdf (from 2005) but not mplayer, kermit, links2 (it has lynx), svp, (zgv?). 1.4GB does not include kernel source code (for 2.4.33).