baslinux - Re: [BL] Using BL to clone Slackware

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using BL to clone Slackware
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 07:16:37 +1300

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> I then chrooted to /dev/hda1 again and typed man lilo and
> read about how to install it. This is where I went wrong.
> I used boot=/dev/fd0. Slackware had boot=/dev/hda instead.

boot=/dev/fd0 tells lilo to install in MBR of floppy (A: drive)
boot=/dev/hda tells lilo to install to MBR of primary master HD
boot=/dev/hdb tells lilo to install to MBR of primary slave HD

> I tried to install it to hard disk:
>
> lilo -M /dev/hda
> I tried also lilo -M /dev/hda mbr

I am unfamiliar with the -M parameter.

> It seemed to be working both times.

Install lilo this way: lilo -v
That gives you more information.

> What should this be instead?

First you configure lilo.conf to tell lilo how/where
to install itself. Then you execute lilo -v

> When I tried to boot, 'no boot signature in ... partition'
> (can't read my scribbles).

Then please do it again. You can't expect us to
diagnoze your problem if you don't give us precise
information on the problem.

> Assuming I had put Slackware in /dev/hda2 again,

If you want lilo to reside in the boot sector of /dev/hda2
then put this line in lilo.conf: boot=/dev/hda2
Then execute: lilo -v.
Note: for that to work, you must mark /dev/hda2 as bootable
(and other partitions as non-bootable). You will also need
something (eg DOS bootloader) in the MBR.

> I can't find instructions for installing lilo

You install lilo by doing: lilo -v

> just to configure or remove it.

You configure it by editing /etc/lilo.conf