baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa, startxt, and startx for thin client

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa, startxt, and startx for thin client
  • Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 14:54:41 +0100

baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org skrev:
Message from Steven
===================
Mikael Bonnier wrote:
I read in some earlier message that you could start the thin client (X server) with startxt.

Yes, but first you need to bring up the network
(insmod, ifconfig).

Then on the server (X client) I did:
DISPLAY="192.168.1.107" xrvt

I assume you mean rxvt.

Yes, I spelled it right on the terminal. What prevented it from working was the missing ":0".

but it didn't show anything on the thin client.

Try this:
------------------------------
export DISPLAY=192.168.1.107:0
xterm &
------------------------------
Thanks this (almost) worked. Should be rxvt instead of xterm on BL3.50 without extras. Maybe xterm should be an alias for rxvt on future BL.

I assume that 192.168.1.107 is the address of the thin client (and that it is pingable).

On the X client I also tried with adding "-query 192.168.1.107" to Xvesa startup line

You don't use the -query parameter on the X client.
It is used on a thin client to connect to xdm (or similar) running on the X client.

Now I run this on the X client (server for the thin client) -- one does not have to start X:
DISPLAY=192.168.1.107:0 /root/.xinitrc &

Then I get the blue background, but I still have a 2 button mouse and a 800x600x16 screen on the laptop that is now a thin client -- which is good (my server for the thin client has a 3 button mouse and a 640x480x15 screen since my monitor is pure VGA (B/W inverted video). I guess startxt reads some local configuration.

It was also possible to use telnet in a Linux Console on the thin client to start .xinitrc on the server (having first startxt in another Linux Console). However, Asmutils telnetd is primitive and perhaps also Busybox telnet (or my system is not configured correctly) so I had to extend the $PATH before I could start successfully completely remotely. Normal commandline editing didn't work using this pair of telnet and telnetd. I think it is telnetd that is most wrong since it doesn't work well with telnet and PuTTY (in telnet mode) in Windows 2000.

When I searched the Internet I found a useful keybord shortcut in X:
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace Shuts down the X server.

--
// Mikael Bonnier
----