baslinux - Re: [BL] Does BL 3.5 write to ext3?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Does BL 3.5 write to ext3?
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 07:27:36 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 06:08:11 +1200
baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> Message from Steven
> ===================
> Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > Folks, I tried searching the archives, but was unable
> > to find out whether BL 3.5 can write to ext3 partitions.
>
> No, the default kernel does not do ext3. It is
> a small footprint kernel, optimized for old PCs.
>
> You are welcome to use a bigger, newer, more capable
> kernel with BL3. I think Sindi has some experience
> with this.
>
> > Somewhere I read that ext3 is better than ext2,
>
> It depends on what you are using your computer for.
> For old, single-user PCs, ext2 works just fine.

One advantage of ext2 over ext3 is that with ext2 it is possible to
recover files accidentally deleted.
I speak from personal experience. I managed to recover about 13 GB of stuff
after pressing the wrong key (del key) while looking at the BL2 file system
from inside another Linux distro.

I now have (almost) all my Linux installations running in ext2 format.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke