baslinux - Re: [BL] Problem with XWindow

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Problem with XWindow
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 14:26:32 +0000 (UTC)

Message from Sindi

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Hi all!!!
I have a laptop PI-166MMX with 40MB RAM, 6GB HDD, videocard - NeoMagic
MagicGraph 1MB with TV-out, 12" TFT display, touchpad. I installed BL 3.50
under Win98 DOS box, but when I want to run XWindow (startx) I have only
black screen. I try VGA 640x480(7) and SVGA 800x600(15) (in dialog when
first typing startx) PC/2 mouse with 2 buttons.What's a problem? Excuse me
for bad English, I hope, that you can understand my problem. If somebody can
help me and speaks Russian, please help me in Russian.

Thanx,

Nickolas (Uzbekistan)

Ya po-russki ponimayu, no plokho govoryu ili pishu.
(I understand Russian, but speak or write it poorly).
I think you can understand my English. Your English is not bad.
Vot obyasnenie po-angliski. U menya takzhe Neomagic video.

I have a laptop with Neomagic video which does not work with Xvesa, the X server that comes with BL (Basiclinux).

Using Basiclinux 'links' (if you are online with BL), from the start page, click on the link to the BL site, go to the bottom of the page, 'Further information and support', 'How to replace Xvesa with a standard X server'. You need to add (pkg) a standard X server from Slackware (probably xsvga.tgz for the neomagic) and no-xvesa.tgz.

The instructions are very detailed and easy to understand. There is a lot of useful information there. You can also search the BL archives (at the BL site, Basiclinux Support, bottom of page, Search the Archives) for answers to common problems like this.

do svidaniya,