baslinux - Re: [BL] Problem starting up

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Problem starting up
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:13:01 +1200

Message from Steven
===================

> I tried with 2 more floppies, same result.
> I can start it up on other computers without
> problem with the same floppies.

Right, that clarifies things. Definitely not
the floppies.

> In this particular computer, there doesn't seem
> to be an error (or at least I don't get any message),
> it just stops at that line

It sounds to me like it doesn't have enough good RAM.
The floppy version of BL3 needs 12mb or more.

IIRC, you said the computer has 16mb RAM. Are you
absolutely sure it is all good? The automatic RAM
count at POST (system startup) is not adequate.
It is not uncommon for Linux to trip over RAM faults
that DOS ignores. I suggest you run a comprehensive
RAM checking utility on that computer. I recommend
memtest: http://www.memtest.org/

Several of us here use it.