baslinux - Re: [BL] My iomega parport zip drive

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] My iomega parport zip drive
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 01:11:42 +0000 (UTC)

Trying to get my IOmega parallel port zip drive
working w BL3.
Does the BIOS setting need to be changed to have
BL3 recognize this by ppa? Is there another module
besides ppa.o I need to download and then run with
insmod?

Sindi knows more about this than I do (I've never
used a zip drive). However, I think you might
need to activate the parallel port first by doing:
-----------------
insmod parport
insmod parport_pc
-----------------
Then do: insmod ppa

insmod parport
insmod parport_pc
insmod scsi_mod
insmod sd_mod
insmod ppa (for older model)
or
insmod imm (for newer ZIP PLUS model)

It should find /dev/sda4, which you then mount to /mnt or elsewhere.

This might be because the first zip drives were scsi (we have both internal and external models) and the drivers were designed for them (similar to needing scsi modules for IDE CD burners).

We also have internal IDE zip drives (detected as hd?4), and USB zip drives (250MB). They all work with BL with the right kernel and modules.

You probably need bzimage.big from the BL site (additional kernels and modules) for scsi support along with the above modules.

There was a long thread about this last year:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2006-May/010528.html

That got into other things.