baslinux - Re: [BL] Word Processors Scenario w/ BL3-50

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Word Processors Scenario w/ BL3-50
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 05:13:48 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
itfactor36 wrote:

> A particular senior citizen lady I know well has been
> using WordStar 4.0 for DOS since the late 1980's solely
> for word-processing and printing. Nothing else; a Luddite.
> She refused to install WordPerfect for DOS and Windows,
> MS-Word for Windows, Windows 95/98, Linux......
> still will not use the perfectly-working 24X CD-ROM drive
> that is installed nor will she go online for any means

It's probably too late to change her. I would give her
exactly what she wants and nothing more.

> I have a super low-grade near-identical replacement PC
> for her.
> This already has DOS 6.2 and WS4.0 already installed

Good, your work is done.

> Question here is whether it would be better carrying out
> the above on a larger 6GB+ hdd (i.e., faster, more reliable)

For what she's doing, it's not worth the effort.

> and setting up a a) dual-boot DOS/BL3 system with WS4.O
> on the DOS partition and BL3 running from the loop file
> on "C:"

I seriously doubt the Linux option would ever be used.

> -or- b) a wiping out DOS altogether and running WS4.0
> from dosemu in a fully-installed BL3 ??

Definitely not. You would be inviting endless problems.
Keep it simple: she wants old DOS, she gets old DOS.