baslinux - Re: [BL] JATON WinCOMM V92 PCI modem (2001) now supports linux

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] JATON WinCOMM V92 PCI modem (2001) now supports linux
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 23:24:18 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

We were given two of these, which it appears are still being sold, along
with a 2001 Quick Start Guide that mentions only Windows, but the JATON
website now has linux source code. intel-536ep-4.69.tgz 463347 bytes,
with license.txt and readme.txt, a 1MB lib file and some .c and .h and a
makefile.
This modem was not on the JATON page listing modems.

I found Intel-536EP-4.70.tgz 475K and compiled it. It wants two files from /boot to check kernel version which we don't have, so I bypassed the main makefile and just compiled the module Intel536.o and made the device and installed the module manually (to ./net).

mknod /dev/536ep.o c 240 1
In pppsetup point to /dev/536ep.o or ln -s that to /dev/modem
insmod -f Intel536

Finds IRQ 10 for device 00:09.0
Connect script failed
service #1: Busy signal at .....

Three busy signals at two ISPs. This could be another dud modem so the module may work. I found several online references to this module being correct for this card.

Since I could not check kernel version, it says the module is tainted with or without -f, but loads it anyway and it finds the device.

Anyone want to compile it for 2.2.26?
It only compiles for 2.4 or 2.6 kernels.

The only linmodems I have been given are lucent/agere, pctel (dead) and jaton. 3com/USR and Rockwell/Conexant were Windows only.