baslinux - Re: [BL] onboard via686 (via82cxxx_audio.o) sound

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] onboard via686 (via82cxxx_audio.o) sound
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:26:15 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Samual Acorn wrote:

On 25/02/07, sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, Samual Acorn wrote:

mplayer -vo xvidix -framedrop file

Vidix is a portable interface to provide DGA. Video Interface for Unix.
Found the source code for drivers. vidix-0.9.9.3 was released Dec 2006.
vidix-0.9.9.3.tar.bz2 331K

Using glibc 2.2.5 and gcc 2.95.3 I tried to compile:
./configure
make - a few warnings then
Error 1 Error 2 mga_vid.c various things are undeclared.

uclibc (0.27 precompiled) worked to compile vidix. I have drivers
genfb_vid.o nvidia_vid.o rage128_vid.o mga_vid.o mach64_vid.o etc. Tried
to insmod nvidia_vid.o - lots of unresolved symbols. Exited uclibc and
now I have the wrong kernel version. It might help to have the uclibc
that was compiled around 2.4.31 since that is my kernel version.

Sam, can you explain how to compile and use vidix?

vidix was already compiled and useable in a mplayer package you had on
your site... at least at one point in time..

should already be a /usr/local/lib/mplayer/vidix on your system with a
handfull of *.so files in it... its these .so files that do it... you
dont need to install any modules...

Found it! mga_vid.so etc. Not .o. The library files in this directory are larger than what I compiled - perhaps it has something to do with the kernel used when compiling? Or maybe David compiled his own uclibc (a later version)?

mga_vid.so is 15952 bytes, and mine is 11513.

mplayer -vo cvidix dvd://1 - sort of works. But the image is transparently on top of the original text. I can see the numbers go up as it plays. Interesting effect. It fills the entire screen. Vesa only fills about 3/4 of it.

And 'Your system is too SLOW to play this!' - try -ao sdl or ALSA, try a different -vo driver or -framedrop, slow media such as DVD (try -cache 8192) etc. I could try a different DVD drive with vesa. This one is nice because the CD part is not broken and the door works all the time.

Now the sound is dead. That has been happening a lot. Maybe the vesa driver conflicts somehow (it is the one where sound lags and then stops). So I can't test -cache 8192 with vesa. This sound card shares IRQ5.

Maybe riva has buggy vidix as well as xfbdev. I knew I should not have closed up the case so soon ;=( This card lets me view at 1600 in full color and the matrox has only 2MB RAM so I may stick with x11 -framedrop.

one of the problems tho is even tho i still have this package i took
it apart from its original form and ran the script in it manually to
install it... (redhat doesnt have the 'pkg' command) so i dunno how i
would get it back to you if you dont have it... (been a while since i
took it apart so i dunno how it was originally constructed)... the
version was 1.0pre5 ... the install script will print (to the screen)
info on where it put the vidix files if you are using the same version
i am..

I have it on all my computers but thanks. David probably has it at his site and I have it at mine too. 1.0pre5-2.95.3 2004

With this nvidia Riva pci video card, -vo svga does not work.
-vo vesa works, sort of, but the sound lags then stops.
x11 works (with -framedrop).

close X if you use vesa.... (if you didnt already) .. ive never tried svga...

If I forget, it closes itself I think. Works anyway.

Why would a monitor start squealing after a while?

x11 always works.

it always will... but it will be horridly slow...

Better than vesa on this setup. Usable. My other option is a 13" RGB Magnavox monitor with DVD player. Or amber on black TTL. You can't skip past the warnings.

The AGP cards don't need it on a fast computer. PCI do. I don't
multitask while watching a DVD, it tends to crash mplayer.

AGP is just a modified version of PCI... other cards can still get in its way...
It seems to be fast enough not to need -framedrop. I don't run other programs at the same time as playing a DVD. If I try I lose the picture.

if you are watching DVDs turn DMA on for the dvd drive... you cant put
every function on the cpu...

How do I do that? I left BIOS alone for the most part. Prefetch mode was
disabled for the second controller but I can try enabling it. Do I turn
on DMA when I load linux?

hdparm -d1 /dev/<dvddrivelocation>

I was going to but I seem to have lost BOTH my VGA vts now and will have to reboot to get sound and video back first. I have a dual-head system with MGA/TTL on vt1 and vt2 and VGA on vt3 and vt4. Something killed them both - black screens. I could set up a separate computer just for DVD watching with AGP and one monitor but I also want to use the fast computer for compiling on.

linux turns DMA off -- it doesnt matter what the bios says... you have
to turn it back on..

Does it always turn it off? I had one computer where I had to disable DMA in BIOS to speed up boot, because linux would complain about it not working otherwies.

i dunno if you have hdparm or not tho...

I do. Used it to stop a reset problem with one odd drive. From bin.tgz.
Also in busybox that I compiled. Useful for determining buffer size in drives which lets you copy files faster with dd.

mplayer -vo help lists:
xmga (Matrox - not my version)
mga (ditto)
xv (X11/Xv) ??
dga (Direct Graphic Access V2.0)
sdl
fbdev
fbdev2
vesa VESA VBE 2.0 (worked but not well here)
xvidix X11 (VIDIX)
cvidix - console vidix

I only copied the ones I thought might be useful and did not go on top of X.

i get;
Available video output drivers:
xmga Matrox G200/G4x0/G550 overlay in X11 window (using
/dev/mga_vid)
mga Matrox G200/G4x0/G550 overlay (/dev/mga_vid)
xv X11/Xv
x11 X11 ( XImage/Shm )
xover General X11 driver for overlay capable video output drivers
dga DGA ( Direct Graphic Access V2.0 )
sdl SDL YUV/RGB/BGR renderer (SDL v1.1.7+ only!)
fbdev Framebuffer Device
fbdev2 Framebuffer Device
null Null video output
pgm PGM file
md5 MD5 sum
mpegpes Mpeg-PES file
yuv4mpeg yuv4mpeg output for mjpegtools (to "stream.yuv")
vesa VESA VBE 2.0 video output
xvidix X11 (VIDIX)
cvidix console VIDIX
tga Targa output

svga is not listed here but works with some video cards.

guess i never used 'svga' cos i dont have it *grin*

svgalib - I installed it for use with the delilinux links2 graphical, bmv, and zgv. But it does not show up on the list.

On 25/02/07, sindi keesan