baslinux - Re: [BL] onboard via686 (via82cxxx_audio.o) sound

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] onboard via686 (via82cxxx_audio.o) sound
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 05:12:48 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, Samual Acorn wrote:

mplayer -vo xvidix -framedrop file

Vidix is a portable interface to provide DGA. Video Interface for Unix. Found the source code for drivers. vidix-0.9.9.3 was released Dec 2006. vidix-0.9.9.3.tar.bz2 331K

Using glibc 2.2.5 and gcc 2.95.3 I tried to compile:
./configure
make - a few warnings then
Error 1 Error 2 mga_vid.c various things are undeclared.

uclibc (0.27 precompiled) worked to compile vidix. I have drivers genfb_vid.o nvidia_vid.o rage128_vid.o mga_vid.o mach64_vid.o etc. Tried to insmod nvidia_vid.o - lots of unresolved symbols. Exited uclibc and now I have the wrong kernel version. It might help to have the uclibc that was compiled around 2.4.31 since that is my kernel version.

Sam, can you explain how to compile and use vidix?

With this nvidia Riva pci video card, -vo svga does not work.
-vo vesa works, sort of, but the sound lags then stops.
x11 works (with -framedrop).

Similar problems with matrox card in this board. x11 works.
Don't recall why vesa was not usable.

The Riva card won't work with xfbdev. The whole screen turns blue.
There is something in kernel archives about a patch for Riva fbdev.

I think I had one AGP card somewhat working with -vo fbdev (in half-screen mode?). Nothing is fully standardized.

x11 always works.

you need to access the vidcard directly in some way rather than just
drawing on X or using vesa to get the real speed of your vidcard....

sharing interrupts between PCI cards shouldnt be a problem (PCI was
designed so that interrupts can be shared)

even the fastest machines will need -framedrop at one point in time or
another (multitasking causing a lag in video for example... even if

The AGP cards don't need it on a fast computer. PCI do. I don't multitask while watching a DVD, it tends to crash mplayer.

you arent activly doing anything else the hardware and its drivers
still are) if mplayer can help it it wont drop frames so it doesnt
hurt to use -framedrop....

if you are watching DVDs turn DMA on for the dvd drive... you cant put
every function on the cpu...

How do I do that? I left BIOS alone for the most part. Prefetch mode was disabled for the second controller but I can try enabling it. Do I turn on DMA when I load linux?

mplayer -vo help lists:
xmga (Matrox - not my version)
mga (ditto)
xv (X11/Xv) ??
dga (Direct Graphic Access V2.0)
sdl
fbdev
fbdev2
vesa VESA VBE 2.0 (worked but not well here)
xvidix X11 (VIDIX)
cvidix - console vidix

svga is not listed here but works with some video cards.

On 25/02/07, sindi keesan