baslinux - Re: [BL] bash help; changing case of file names, hyperlinks

  • From: Karolis Lyvens <karolisl AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bash help; changing case of file names, hyperlinks
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 11:23:58 +0200

On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 05:17:39AM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> I have proposed this to the people at my list and asked them to make any
> changes suitable to our system. If the user is running the script from
> their own directory the script could simply copy the file from my
> directory to theirs and change the login.
>
> What I want to do is replace keesan with their login name (I was not very
> clear about this). Would the following do that if run from the user's own
> directory?

These commands should succeed if your .procmailrc and .forward files
were world-readable. chmod 644 if they are not.

> cat ~keesan/procmailrc.sample | sed -e /keesan/`whoami`/ > .procmailrc
cat ~keesan/procmailrc.sample | sed -e "/keesan/`whoami`/g" > ~/.procmailrc

This would replace all occurences of "keesan" on the line (not only the
first match) and would replace .procmailrc in the user's HOME directory,
not present working directory.

> cat ~keesan/.forward > .forward
cat ~keesan/.forward > ~/.forward
> How would I append to existing .procmailrc and .forward instead of
> replacing/creating them?

Use ">>" instead of ">"

-snip-

> We lost the staff member who was going to write something up because he
> got tired of the bickering among other members. The person who helped me
> with .procmailrc spam filter resigned at the same time. This was shortly
> after the two bickering members quit. (They had also quit before and asked
> to come back.) Are all volunteer organizations this ridiculous?

Because of things like that, I think, Slackware and Linux kernel projects
are living for so long and still are actively maintained/developed -
they both have "benevolent dictators" that prevent such quarrels.

Karolis