baslinux - [BL] No Job Control on Glibc2 Bl3

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] No Job Control on Glibc2 Bl3
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 12:27:36 +0000

I can put running apps to sleep in the background with Ctrl-z,
but can't make them run in the background with "bg" or bring them
to the foreground with "fg". "jobs" reports that there aren't any.

This happens from the console or from an xterm.

I'm using the statically-linked busybox from the libc5 bl3 and have run lsof
on both boxes, and set, looking for differences, but don't see any.

The ash manpage says that Bekeley job control support in the OS
is necessary for it to work but I can't imagine why it wouldn't exist on
the new BL3, which uses the same kernel as the libc5 Bl3.

Does anyone have a clue?

This may be related to the fact that the window managers twm, and swm, both
with rxvt xterms, don't display the title from rxvt and don't respond to
Alt-Tab. (failsafewm _does_ respond to Alt-Tab, however)

What happens if I try Alt-Tab twice, is that I get the list of executables
that just Tab-Tab gives.

Though Ctrl-Alt-F? for switching terminals _does_ work with twm/swm/rxvt...

I seem to be missing something basic from the new OS, but can't figure
out what it is.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Lee

--