baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 as 'user' D

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 as 'user' D
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 00:34:08 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Hermang Mansilla wrote:

Hi,
Sorry for answering late, but my mailbox is full of
messages (damn spammers !!!)

I have a suggestion: if your problem is that you
want to print a formatted web page, then it could be
possible to "pass" the html file previously through
a filter that convert them to simple text and print it
normally?
I remember that the Lynx (or links ? ) program has
an option that is used from midnight commander to
view html pages inside midnight commander
I am not running BasLinux right now, so I can not
verify it, but I remember it was something like this:

I have been able to do this from the menu, saving formatted text in links (with tables) or printing with P from lynx and saving to a file.
But my friends want to print webpages with different sizes of fonts and with embedded images. The use of a printing script based on gs solved this problem.

I wonder if we can print graphical links with the same script.

Sindi

links -dump -force-html WebPageforPrinting.html >
p.txt

Then you could print p.txt as a normal text file

Hope this helps!
Bye,
-HHMM

--- sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Both AbiWord and Opera work fine as root.

They don't print web pages or formatted text as
root.

That's a lpd problem, not a AbiWord/Opera problem.
I don't recommend running lpd on BL3 (although, of
course, you are very welcome to try). I run lpd
on
BL2, which is a better all-purpose platform.

I do too, but am trying to keep this small and
simple.
lpd does not work as root in BL2 - would it maybe
work in BL3?

Remember BL3 was a downgrade from BL2. BL3
required
at least a 486DX with 8mb RAM. BL3 runs on a 386
or
486SX with 3mb RAM. For Pentium desktops, BL2 is
the
better option.

I don't see that it would be any easier to set up
than BL3 with upgraded
glibc, unless someone really wanted xpdf. (I can
try to write a script
to convert pdf to pbm and view one page at a time
with zgv). Our friends
are not going to be adding programs.

This is what people want to do on the computers
we give
them, therefore we are forced to put on Windows
just to
print with.

No, you aren't forced to install Windows. You've
got
plenty of other options (DSL, VectorLinux, etc.).

I don't want to learn another linux just to put on
other people's
computers. I am trying to share what I already
know. BL supports our
hardware. (Ubuntu on live CD could not even find
our ISA modem or sound
card).

We are setting up early Pentiums for people who
cannot
afford new computers.

Then you probably need something that is
idiot-proof.
Obviously BL3 is not a good platform for that.

It has worked so far, just not for printing
formatted text.
Even worked with a lucent modem for one friend whose
Win98 would no longer
work with that modem. Easier than trying to fix
Windows.

It boots much faster than any other linux I have
looked at and people
really like it for internet use.

newbies might give up after installing passwd.tgz

passwd.tgz is not for newbies. I am definitely
not
recommending it for newbies.

baslinux-request AT lists.ibiblio.org

keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org