baslinux - Re: [BL] long filenames 34

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] long filenames 34
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 14:01:36 +1030

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 10:52:37 +1300, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Ron Clarke wrote:

>> Which is why I stick by my recommendation to Greg, coming
>> from DOS as I did, to get used to an unfamiliar file system
>> using a tool that has a comfortable familiar feel to it.

> It seems to me that your "tool that has a comfortable
> familiar feel" has got Greg into more trouble than it
> was worth.

The only trouble it got me into was an argument that started when I said
I wanted to install lynx so mc could open HTML files.

I have downloaded lynx and installed it, and mc seems happy, but the
arguments go on and on.

I have to learn not to answer when people imply I am stupid for doing
some of the things I want/like to do.

> Surely it's not too difficult for a DOS
> user to cope with the BL3 commands: cd, dir, copy, del,
> ren, edit.

No, nor is it too difficult for the average person to walk everywhere.
And it will give them more exercise. But sometimes it is more convenient
to take the car. Does that make it wrong to use the car?

> Combine those with d (to browse directories
> and view files) and there is absolutely no need for the
> Midnight Command package and the lynx package (particularly
> when you are running BL3 on a loop file that has limited
> space for add-ons).

Of course there is no 'need' for it. But it is nice to use in many
respects and I want to keep using it, as one of my options!

If that bothers anyone, I am sorry, but that's the way its going to be.

> What's the problem?

There is no problem, except that the fact I want to use mc seems to
upset some people.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v