baslinux - Re: [BL] BL4 = BL2

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL4 = BL2
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:26:24 +1100

Hi Christof,

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:36:16
Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz> wrote:

> >> Users with PII desktops (and above) should really be
> >> using BL2, not BL3.
> >
> > I would agree with that. :)
> >
> > My main Linux distro started as BL2, ...... and just grew ! :)
> >It's just that this group doesn't seem to be developing stuff for BL2
> >any more. :(
>
> Ron,
>
> I keep using BL2 from time to time, too. For real work, however,
> I have returned to DOS meanwhile.

I do almost all of my business in DOS, and a fair proportion of my
fun-time.
But I am slowly drifting towards Linux, even so.

> There are a few things, I cannot
> do in DOS, so I need some complementary operating systems:
>
> - music notation (Windows98)

I currently do musical notation in Win3.1, but Rosegarden in BL2
(enhanced) will be the application for the future.

> - printing MS-Excel files (Windows98)

In BL2, I use siag or OpenOffice.

> - edit graphic files with international fonts (Windows98)

I suspect Gimp would handle that, but it is not something that I have ever
done.

> - CD burning and browsing (Linux 2.4 + cdrtools)

I use Slackware 9.1 for cd burning. I can browse most cds with DOS or BL2.

> - difficult web pages (Linux 2.2 + Firebird)

Depends on how difficult the webpages are. DOS (Arachne), BL2
(Phoenix/Opera/Netscape), SW9/10 (Firefox), other Linux distros.

> I will probably continue posting minimalized software/script packages
> related to the tasks mentioned. And they may be regarded as BL2
> add-ons. The last one, usbtools.tgz was actually not my, but Sindi's
> work. I will not post packets which I do not use myself, because they
> will be only full of bugs and of no use for anybody.

Do you have a URL where your scripts can be found ?

> Perhaps it could be pointed more clearly on the BL website that BL2
> is not an outdated obsolete version, but rather a different hardware
> option.

I would agree with that. For me, BL2 is my Linux of choice. Much
tweaked, of course, but still BL2.

Regards,
Ron

--