baslinux - [BL] BL4 = BL2

  • From: Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL4 = BL2
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:36:16

On 29 Jan 07 at 12:18, ariadne AT ausreg.com wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 13:03:51 +1300, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
>
>> Samual Acorn wrote:
>
>>> perhaps a slightly thicker 'BL4' would be usefull?
>
>> That's what BL2 is. It has a Slackware foundation with
>> run levels, logins, pkgtool, etc. It even has a more
>> modern library than BL3. BL3 is more bare-bones and
>> uses a smaller (older) library to maximize performance
>> on a 486 laptop.
>
>> Users with PII desktops (and above) should really be
>> using BL2, not BL3.
>
> I would agree with that. :)
>
> My main Linux distro started as BL2, ...... and just grew ! :)
>It's just that this group doesn't seem to be developing stuff for BL2
>any more. :(

Ron,

I keep using BL2 from time to time, too. For real work, however,
I have returned to DOS meanwhile. There are a few things, I cannot
do in DOS, so I need some complementary operating systems:

- music notation (Windows98)
- printing MS-Excel files (Windows98)
- edit graphic files with international fonts (Windows98)
- CD burning and browsing (Linux 2.4 + cdrtools)
- difficult web pages (Linux 2.2 + Firebird)

I will probably continue posting minimalized software/script packages
related to the tasks mentioned. And they may be regarded as BL2
add-ons. The last one, usbtools.tgz was actually not my, but Sindi's
work. I will not post packets which I do not use myself, because they
will be only full of bugs and of no use for anybody.

Perhaps it could be pointed more clearly on the BL website that BL2
is not an outdated bsolete version, but rather a different hardware
option.

Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov