baslinux - Re: [BL] opera 8.52 for linux and security bugs

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] opera 8.52 for linux and security bugs
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:26:54 +1300

Samual Acorn wrote:

> the rule of thumb is; only run as root when you
> absolutely have to...
> 'root' is for system administration/maintenance...
> not for regular use...

That's the rule of thumb for mainstream Linux
installations, particularly multi-users ones
with network access. However, it's not the
rule of thumb for BL3.

BL3 is a bare-bones Linux designed for single
users trying to do something useful on an old,
underpowered laptop. It is not comprehensive.
It is not multi-user. It is not a secure platform
for running network servers.

BL3 runs as root. Same as DOS, same as my old
Commodore. You are in charge of the computer.
You tell it what to do and it does it.
No permission fishhooks. Nice and simple.