baslinux - Re: [BL] opera 8.52 for linux and security bugs

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] opera 8.52 for linux and security bugs
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 20:25:30 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007, Samual Acorn wrote:

Should I worry about running anything offline as root?

the rule of thumb is; only run as root when you absolutely have to...
'root' is for system administration/maintenance... not for regular
use...

Steven says it is okay with BL offline.

If you try http://www.securityfocus.com/vulnerabilities instead and
enter "Opera Software" and then "Opera Web Browser" in the search form
you get a long list of (known) bugs along with their security
implications and possible fixes or upgrades. A Google search for '"opera
8.52" security bugs' has http://security.nnov.ru/soft/8550.html as first
search result. This page says:

"Integer overflow on long stylsheet sttribute. Can potentially be
used for hidden malware installation."

I checked this site and found only something about DoS and Opera 8.52, one bug in links2 that was fixed in later versions, and no vulnerabilities for lynx. I am probably using the site wrong.

A search on lynx 2.8.5 and security bug found something to do with CGI that redirects you to a URL which can execute things as the user. So this is a reason to use lynx as user not root. I think. They fixed this bug. David Moberg compiled a lynx 2.8.6 but that version was particularly buggy and could not access a lot of websites. Maybe it is time to compile the latest stable version against uClibc again.

su user lynx

I think I could only save files to /home/user but I can move them later.

sshd also had a bug fixed. I can't understand if this would affect me because it has to do with running scp.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable wants to check this all out.