baslinux - [BL] udhcpc as 'user' in BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] udhcpc as 'user' in BL3
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 03:49:46 +0000 (UTC)

Someone's computer is dying (won't boot unless they blow air on the cpu fan for 10 minutes first, they said, and makes strange noises) and they need to use the internet while deciding what to replace it with so I offered an old computer. They wanted XP for security (having had some problem with identity theft already). I offered linux instead. No viruses.

Is there any security problem using BL3 and Opera, and if so, would it be better to use it as 'user' not root? Probably Opera and Ebay will be leaving cookies on their computer. They probably have a firewall already.

I can insmod the ethernet module in rc (as root), but busybox udhcpc (rwx for root and user) run as user gets an: 'error, socket failed!: Operation not permitted', whereas root gets 'SIOCGIFINDEX failed! No such device.' Which operation is not permitted? Same problem in BL2 or BL3.

Can I just run udhcpc as root in rc and then they will be connected to the internet before logging in as user? (I probably should give them a real password in this case). Can login as 'user' be automated in some file that is not accessible by outsiders when they are working as 'user'?

I know how to make Xvesa (without rxvt) and Opera work as user.

We have until Thursday evening to set something up.

  • [BL] udhcpc as 'user' in BL3, sindi keesan, 01/22/2007