baslinux - [BL] Linux for a Windows user

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Linux for a Windows user
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 00:45:02 +0000 (UTC)

We are making free computers for the freecycle group here. Made one with BL3/Opera (for webmail) and 60 DOS games (200MB drive) for a 9 year old, and one with (ugh) Windows for daycare for playing educational Windows games, and am trying to talk someone else into linux for internet for their kids but they want "parental control" - can you add that in linux? If not, it is $15/mo for a local ISP that provides it.

One person wants internet and wordprocessing for his father and the ability to view photos and RTF files from his USB flash drive, and we decided to use Win98 for the printing (who knows what printer they have) rather than fiddle with ghostscript and/or CUPS and printing as user and trying to use svgalib and Xvesa also as user. I also promised Adobe Acrobat 5.0 (which I have on CD already, saves downloading ghostscript, and the SW4.0 version is outdated and the newer ones need newer libx11).

But he is happy with the idea of linux for internet (no viruses of spyway) and viewing photos and RTF files (abiword). He also wants to learn linux. We are setting it up to boot directly to icewm with a menu (Opera, links, linux, zgv, abiword, pdftopbm, netpbm). He did not mention games. What else should I put on for a complete newbie that will run in X or at least in an Xterm (probably with a black background). If POP mail I can add Sylpheed (or they can use Opera mail). We have until Thursday evening.

540MB = 40MB DOS (loop BL3, ramdisk BL2), 300MB Windows, 200MB linux.
He can store photos and documents in the Windows partition.

We ran spinrite on all our drives and discovered most of the 340-500MB ones were failing or dead. The 1GB died during the test, a donated 2GB had bad bearings, and our 1.6MB died in use. Apart from that, smaller drives save time because they partition and format and defrag (and test) faster. They load Opera slower, but we can still be online in 1/10 the time of a new computer with XP and IE.

A local computer store called to let us know they have, for $25, 500-600Mhz with 256-512MB RAM and (pc?)linux. Just add monitor and keyboard.

  • [BL] Linux for a Windows user, sindi keesan, 01/02/2007