baslinux - Re: [BL] insmod to 2.4, was USB modem ...(a)

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] insmod to 2.4, was USB modem ...(a)
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 19:58:35 -0800

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 05:57:34PM -0800, David Moberg wrote:
> Lee Forrest wrote:
> >
> > BL/etc/rc:
> >
> > insmod -f usb-uhci
> > insmod -f hid
> > insmod -f usbcore
> > insmod -f usbmouse
> > insmod -f mousedev
> > insmod -f unix
> > But some of them wouldn't load:
> > Using /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-uhci.o
> > insmod: unresolved symbol usb_release_bandwidth_R6d7b732a
> > I thought the kernel (and therefore the modules, I would
> > think) were standalone. Why wouldn't the same modules
> > load with the very same kernel?
>
> The problem is the order in which you attempt to load the modules.
> modprobe automatically finds the dependencies of a module and inserts
> those first, then the module you requested to be inserted. With insmod
> you must first load the helper modules, and then the main device
> module. This is why modprobe is more complex than insmod. So you
> should rearrange the above modules lines to look like this:
>
> insmod -f usbcore # core Linux USB subsystem - required
> insmod -f usb-uhci # driver for your USB host controller
> insmod -f hid # HID device driver - generic for mice, keyboards,
> etc.
> insmod -f usbmouse # This may be optional - normally you either use
> this or hid. hid is better but also larger.
> insmod -f mousedev
> insmod -f unix # depends on nothing but a kernel with
> networking support

Good. I won't forget that lesson. They all load now, just fine,
but I had to add keybdev to get the keyboard back. Mouse still
doesn't work. Tried it with just hid and with both it and usbmouse
(which isn't used on my debian with the same kernel). Must have
something to do with the xserver, eh?

> Why do you have -f on every line? That should not be necessary unless
> you are trying to insert a module into a different kernel than what it
> was intended for.

Okay. I removed them. No problem.

Thanks, David. Still haven't figured out what the problem is with
gcc on my debian. I re-installed libc6-dev and libc6 (both were
updated) with apt-get. That's the order it did them in.

The problem is apparently in an elf binary that's part of an ar
archive in /usr/lib. I copied the file elsewhere and extracted
the archive and ran file on it.

# make dep
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o scripts/mkdep
scripts/mkdep.c
/usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a(elf-init.oS): In function `__libc_csu_init':
elf-init.oS(.text+0x1d): undefined reference to `__init_array_end'

libc_nonshared.a
after ar x
file elf-init.oS
elf-init.oS: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), not
stripped

Any idea where I go from there?

Lee