baslinux - Re: [BL] BasicLinux on Thinkpad 560x

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasicLinux on Thinkpad 560x
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 22:21:21 +0000 (UTC)

I forgot about the 2.4 kernel naming.

I don't know much about 2.4 kernels. I run everything
on 2.2 kernels.

I compiled several 2.4 kernels, one specifically for laptop (no scsi or sound support). http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31 - see the config files. I think I have used these with loop BL3. David compiled another larger one.
I can use the 2.4 series kernel w/ basiclinux, can't I?

Yes and no. A properly compiled 2.4 kernel will work fine.
But many 2.4 kernels expect devfs and other fancy stuff
that the BL3 filesystem does not provide. Moreover, if
you are running the loop version of BL3, the kernel must
have that capability built-in.

No devfs in my kernels.