baslinux - Re: [BL] BasicLinux List

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasicLinux List
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:11:03 +0000 (UTC)

optional-image-downloading browser

Opera, links2, Netscape 3.04 (BL1)

I compiled a lynx 2.8.51 that should work with BL3 with no libc upgrade (you need to add a libdns to use it online) and David Moberg compiled a uclibc version 2.8.6 but it seems to crash a lot more (buggy source code).
Use with a viewer.

vi, compiler, screen

Slackware 4.0. There have been previous posts
about what packages are needed for compiling.

I compiled a busybox 1.1.10 (I forget if it needs to be used with kernel 2.4.31 which I also compiled) which includes a small vi.

pdf viewer/creator

Slackware 4.0 has a pdf package, but it is not
up-to-date and is unable to display some pdfs.
I use xpdf 3.01 on BL2.

xpdf 3 does not work with the BL3 X11, but I posted at my site a minimal package of the ghostscript fonts and a config file based on them which you need to add in order to use the other parts of this package with BL3. And also discussed this on the list a while back. pdftotext (for info only) and pdfimages (useful to view files that got scanned and made into pdf) probably work without this package, but pdftopbm requires the fonts to produce the pbm image. Convert the pdf file to a pbm file and view with zgv (does xli also view pbm files?).

In about 50MB I have BL3 with three browsers, svgalib, zgv, xpdf without X, kermit, and a few other things. Abiword can be added but then you need to set up non-text printing (with ghostscript). I also added a swapfile twice the size of my 12MB RAM.

imagemagick

There is a package in Slackware 4.0.

netpbm for BL3 is smaller and faster - it converts between various image formats, crops, rotates, resizes, and even prints directly to an Epson (black only) or HP Deskjet (including color) without ghostscript. I posted a package with sample scripts for printing.

Sure wish that I could integrate the xserver and screen.
I love screen

I think Sindi has done a lot with screen.

I have used the basics. It is not easy to learn. Use it in CLI. You
should not need it in X. You can cut and paste without a mouse. splitvt (comes with Slackware) is smaller and simpler.

which is a better window manager and networker than
anything X

Sindi has done some minimalistic stuff with X too.

I extracted the minimum libraries and posted about this. You can get by with about 1MB of libraries instead of 10MB of packages. startx is not needed, use xinit directly.

Presently, I run screen in a tiny x-terminal-emulator in
a tiny window manager.

I don't think you'll get anything tinier than the
swm in BL3. It's even smaller if you leave out
the optional menu.

You can run X-based programs without a window manager to reduce RAM usage, but some, like Opera, lose functionality (you cannot change focus via keyboard). This has been discussed on the list but perhaps Steven could illustrate again for Xvesa and links2 -g at various resolutions and color depths. I forget how to do it without rxvt.