baslinux - [BL] Fw: Re: BasicLinux List

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] Fw: Re: BasicLinux List
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:06:15 +1300

Lee Forrest wrote:

> I have tried about 6 times, directly and via the
> webform, to subscribe to the list.
>
> All my mails are rejected by the MTA there. This is
> my second-to-last attempt, where I manually entered
> my dynamic IP as my HELO:

It should not be necessary to manually enter anything.
What happens when you send a normal mail message via
an SMTP server which you are authorized to use. You
are not authorized to use ibiblio's SMTP server.

> #Unknown user: baslinux-request AT lists.ibiblio.org

I have just sent a message to baslinux-request AT lists.ibiblio.org.
It works fine.

> #RCPT TO generated following response:

It sounds like you sending commands directly to the
ibiblio SMTP server. You are not authorized to use
that server.

> What the hell do they want?

They want you to send an ordinary email message to an
SMTP server which you are authorized to use. Normally
your ISP will provide you with an SMTP server which
you are authorized to use. gmail also provides you
with the option to send mail via their SMTP server
(and get mail via their POP server).

> Is 1dial.com blacklisted there?

<$> nslookup 1dial.com
nslookup: 1dial.com: Unknown host

It appears that 1dial.com does not exist.

> I have mailed the supposed maintainer of the list (Ich1...)

That's me.

> and received no responses and no bounces.

There are hundreds of spam messages sent to Ich1 each week.
I scan them a couple of times a month.

> Can you help? Thanks,

I have instructed the listserver to send an invitation to
leeforrest AT simple.net

Let us know what happens.