baslinux - Re: [BL] BasicLinux Internet access

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasicLinux Internet access
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 17:12:50 +1200

Jerry H Chambers wrote:

> Serial connection established.
> Using interface ppp0
> Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
> Remote mesage ^D^EM-t^B^F
> local IP address 67.150.172.39
> remote IP address 63.93.65.81
>
> > -----------------------------------
> > nslookup slashdot.org 64.136.21.200
> > -----------------------------------
> > What does that say?
>
> unknown host

OK, I've been playing around and I can generate that
error message from the nslookup command. It happens
when there is no default route. It probably also
happens when the default route is incorrect. Have
you by any chance defined a default route yourself?

ppp-on establishes its own default route (which in my
experience is always correct). However, if it finds
an existing default route (even an incorrect one),
ppp-on does not alter it.

Before you execute ppp-on, do the following:
-----
route
-----
Is there a default route showing?

Then execute ppp-on and do:
-----
route
-----
Make a note of what it shows. There should be a route to
the internet and there should be a default route pointing
to the route to the internet.