baslinux - Re: [BL] fs.img (20mb) file

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] fs.img (20mb) file
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:10:02 +1200

merab bokuchava wrote:

> > If you need more space, install BL3 to its own HD
> > partition. That is easier than trying to increase
> > the size of fs.img.
>
> When you are getting some old notebook back to live,
> you are not sure anyway that the HDD is going to manage
> happily through the repartitioning.

Actually, the best way to get an old laptop to manage
happily is to repartion it. Old Windows partitions
are usually badly fragmented/cluttered and are more
likely to yield errors.

I have six 486 laptops and BasicLinux runs smoothly on
all of them (on its own Linux partition).

> To take all the data you like away - too much time

No need to take it away. Just run scandisk and do a
complete (100%) defrag. Then use a DOS/Windows utility
to shrink the partition. That will give you room to
create a fresh Linux partition.

> 100 MB data transfer by means of null-modem cables
> - no good.

Serial null-modem: 100mb in 4 hours
Parallel lap-link: 100mb in 1 hour

If that is too slow for a one-time transfer, I suggest
you get a PCMCIA network card. The old ones are cheap
secondhand and most will work in BL3. The most common
driver (pcnet) is in BL3. If the network card requires
a 3Com or Xircom driver, they can be downloaded at the
BL3 site.

> And if someone is trying BL just out of curiosity?

Then the 20mb loopfile gives them plenty of room to
experiment. There's even room to install AbiWord.

> I think the loop file idea is the best for most of
> the situations.

It's fine for beginners, but it is bad for long-term
users. In particular, the loop filesystem is slower
and less stable.

> And most of the people have problems with the loop
> file resizing.

Yes, resizing is complicated. I do not recommend it.

> Maybe it is possible to prepare and make availiable
> for download several sizes fs.img's (for example of
> 20MB, 40MB, 60MB)?

If one of the BL3 contributors wants to offer various
sizes of fs.img, they are welcome to. However, I will
not be doing that. If users need more space, I recommend
they install BL3 to its own Linux (ext2) partition. It's
faster, cleaner and more stable.