baslinux - Re: [BL] Problem with insmod in BL2 and BL3.40 on one computer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Problem with insmod in BL2 and BL3.40 on one computer
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 00:26:44 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I don't really know where busybox 1.01 came from.
It is 413,760 bytes.

That's the busybox in BL 3.40

where it boots BL3 perfectly.

1.00pre7 booted BL3 (on the first computer anyway), 1.01 did not except kernel 2.2.26 loop BL3.40 or kernel 2.4.31 ext2 BL3.40.

That's good. :-)

This busybox 1.01 does NOT boot ext2 BL3 with kernels 2.2.16 or 2.2.26 on two of my computers (or BL2 on one of them that I checked with it) except from loop, or with kernel 2.4.31. Nor does the busybox 1.10 that I compiled. They give different error messages on two computers. They work on other computers, or with loop BL3 on these two computers, or with kernel 2.4.31 that I compiled or that David compiled.

The second computer has finished dying, the first still works fine.

1.01pre7 must be BL3.32, and 1.01 BL3.40, and whatever went wrong persisted into 1.10 which I know I compiled.

On this second computer BL2 booted with busybox 0.60 (BL2 busybox).
On the first computer the full insmod did not work, the busybox 1.00 did work, the 1.10 did not. The problems show up in refusing to boot with older kernels to ext2 linux, and in insmod not working (SW 7.1 and busybox 1.10).

If anyone else has insmod problems or kernel panic without finding init, try either kernel 2.4.31 (I posted several with modules) or busybox 1.00pre7 from BL3.32. Maybe Steven could post it as an alternate.

I will try the same software on our replacement computer to see if it is really a hardware problem, after we find a way to copy from an IDE drive to a SCSI drive. Maybe llpro can copy loop BL3 and then I can run it with my scsi kernel and copy ext2 linux via ethernet. This is the first computer of three with AHA 2940 that actually boots to DOS from the scsi drive (which came in it, with Win98).