baslinux - Re: [BL] About wireless network card

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] About wireless network card
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:42:23 +1200

Hermang Mansilla wrote:

> I want to know which models of PCI Wireless Lan cards
> are supported

I have no experience with PCI wireless, so I can't
give you a definite answer; however, I do know that
there are several wireless modules in PCMCIA directory
(at the BL3 site):
------------
airo.o
airo_cs.o
orinoco.o
orinoco_cs.o
wvlan_cs.o
------------
The modules with cs in the title are for PCMCIA. It
is possible that airo.o and orinoco.o will work with
PCI. It's worth a try.

I believe the airo module is for Aironet ARLAN 4500,
4800, Cisco 340 and Cisco 350 series wireless cards.
And the orinoco module is for Wavelan IEEE/Orinoco,
PrismII and Symbol cards.

Again, I am not an expert on this, but a little trial
and error (and some googling) might get you there.
Please report back here what you find, either positive
or negative.

> And which kernel has better support for them?

zimage, zimage.4dx, zimage.p1, zimage.p2, and zimage.big
are all 2.2.26 kernel and use the same modules. It is
possible that a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel might have more modules
for wireless cards, but those bloated kernels are not
normally used for BasicLinux.