baslinux - [BL] compiling with libreadline

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] compiling with libreadline
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 14:54:12 +0000 (UTC)

I found a MIDI recording program (106K source code) called midish, Russian author, runs from command line and does not need alsa sound unlike most or all of the others. I am hoping it will play midis to the piano. Playmidi plays them to the awe sound card instead. (I should try another sound card without awe too).

It needs libreadline. I have the so library in /usr/lib and and the headers in /usr/include/readline.

I edited Makefile (middle two lines only). Is the last line right?

READLINE_CFLAGS =
READLINE_LDFLAGS = -L/usr/lib (libreadline.so.3 is here)
READLINE_INCLUDE = -I/usr/include/readline (I copied .h files here)
READLINE_LIB = -lreadline -ltermcap

Make should compile midish (which it did) and rmidish (front-end using readline). I want to compile dynamically against libreadline so am not using the .a files from readline.tgz.

Make exited after lots of cc activity with:

cc -I/usr/include/readline rmidish.c \
-L/usr/lib -o rmidish -lreadline -ltermcap
/usr/i386-slackware-linux/bin/ld: cannot open -lreadline: No such file or directory

What is it looking for and do I need to change Makefile?

I tried typing out just the above line but changing -lreadline to /usr/lib/libreadline.so.3 (similarly for -ltermcap) and got:
undefined reference to `atexit@@GLIBC_2.0'

I have glibc 2.2.5 (Slackware 8.1) and egcs 2.91.66 (Slackware 7.1)

There is a midish and an rmidish.c. One part of Makefile reads:

rmidish: rmidish.c
${CC} ${CFLAGS} ${READLINE_CFLAGS} ${READLINE_INCLUDE} rmidish.c \
${LDFLAGS} ${READLINE_LDFLAGS} -o rmidish ${READLINE_LIB}

There are 87 pages of html instructions - 100K manual, 170K program plus rc file. I don't understand midi well enough to not use the front end.

(I don't think I need the gnuaout or gnulibc1 directories related to the above i386* directory, and this one is only for compiling and not needed on my laptop where I won't compile because it is 100MHz with 24MB RAM).