baslinux - [BL] jPhoto and java

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] jPhoto and java
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 20:45:31 +0000 (UTC)

A friend with a broken Windows 98SE computer that we are trying to fix (Dialup Networking seems to have lost some file) has an ltmodem and we would like to switch him to BL3.4 with glibc 2.2.4 so and Opera (he only uses it to browse) but his grandkids just gave him a Kodak Z700 digital camera, USB, which is supposed to work with jPhoto. I found a precompiled jPhoto for glibc which requires libc6 and java.

I don't have java nor do I see it in MANIFEST.gz for SW7.1. I found online jre-1_5_0_03-i585-1.tgz and j2sdk.... and it says 'Slackware repackages Sun's Java(TM) binaries without changing them, so the packages from Slackware -current should be used for all glibc based Slackware versions'. So do I download these and install into BL3.4 with glibc 2.2.5 upgrade and kernel 2.2.26 (USB support) or would I need a later kernel? The site is currently inaccessible (at ftp.slackware.com).

Another site mentioned compiling Blackdown Java 1.4.1 RE with gcc 3.2. 1.5 is a security fix that seems irrelevant to camera downloads.

http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/docs/support/faq-release/FAQ-java-linux-5.html
has more info about java with various linuxes. The section on Slackware says
'For now, please see http://www.slackware.com for more information.

jphoto uses a 100K jusb.jar and a 50K jphoto.jar and a 10K libjusb.so (libc.so.6 dependent) and a 1.5K jphoto script.

Does java require X? There was something about export DISPLAY=:0

It says the latest versions of java have built-in libc.so and libdl.so and need at least glibc-2.0.7 and glibc-devel-2.0.7 to run. You can also use libc5.