baslinux - Re: [BL] mplayer versions

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mplayer versions
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:25:58 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> I listened to .rm and .mp3 at www.wfmu.org/ssaudionet.shtml. They also
> have ogg (pls and m3u) and AAC+ (pls and m3u). And I listened
> successfully to a link ending in .asx that looks like it connected to
> another link starting in mms and ending in .wma. I have lynx set up to
> 'view' .asx files but not .wma files. The .asx link appears to steer
> mplayer/lynx to the .wma, which it does play. Is this built into Mplayer?

Yes. But m3u files need the -playlist option. Perhaps m3u files have
a slightly different formatting.

> Can I simply untar -zxvf my lynx package at sdf, make the changes, and
> repackage it without makepkg, and have it keep the /install/doinstall.sh?

Yes. makepkg puts some kind of header into the tar file, (linuxpackages
won't accept the file unless the header is there) but using tar instead
won't affect the installation or use on Slackware or BL.

> Where do I get codecs for MPEG-4 formats aac and aac+ (aacPlus v1 and v2),
> which are touted as the latest and greatest and are used by Apple iTunes?

Isn't it built in?

$ ./mplayer -ac help | grep AAC
faad faad working FAAD AAC (MPEG2/MPEG4 Audio) decoder
[libfaad2]

> KZSU has mp3 and rm files that play, but if I choose Windows Media link
> kzsu-live.stanford.edu/audio/kzsu-1.asx gets me to another page with the
> URL below, starting in mms but this time ending not in .wma but .asx.
> It does not attempt to play this file. What is mms? Is it MPEG-4? I
> found something about PSS/MMS Audio Codec and extended AMR-WB.
>
> lynx.cfg
> SUFFIX:asx:video/x-ms-asx
> VIEWER:video/x-ms-asx:mplayer -playlist %2
> I even added:
> VIEWER:audio/x-ms-asx

> How do I fix lynx.cfg to play this directly from the original link?

Good question. Somehow, lynx is getting confused by the asx
file and is trying to display it instead of playing it. Is there Javascript
code or odd HTML at this website? lynx might have trouble if it
is not just a link to the file.

> Do I need a Windows codec from among the ones Steven
> listed to handle asx -> mms: asx ?

No, asx is built-in to mplayer and so is mms.

> > 5) Several people on the list eventually requested racook
> > and other codec support, so I added that to 4).
>
> Did you actually include racook or do I still need the /codecs directory
> with codecs in it for rp9?

I did not include racook.

> > 6) This one has not been built, so I cannot comment.
> > Expected features: working subtitles support, svgalib and
> > other output, perhaps a dynamic glibc version for BL2?
>
> Subtitles seem to work as well in mplayer3 as on a DVD player. I can't
> choose the language with either of them and no remote control (But I can
> access more than the first track with Mplayer, FF various amounts, etc.)
> Would the dynamic version be a lot smaller than this static one?

Experiments that I have done so far indicate that it would not be. The
minimal so far (after strip and gzip) was 2.2M, which is only about .5
smaller than the existing mplayer. But uncompressed, it would save
2-4MB so I will try to provide a dynamic binary.

> Will you include any more of the common codecs?

racook? I might not be allowed to under U.S. law. But I doubt
anyone on this list would sue me.

> How do I use vidix?

mplayer -vo xvidix

It works on Xvesa, contrary to earlier reports.

David