baslinux - Re: [BL] mplayer versions

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mplayer versions
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 02:11:14 +0000 (UTC)

I noticed that you have mplayer4.tgz on your BL download site,
which is the latest version.

This is the problem of having computers at three locations. I often forget to update all of them. I should put any new programs on my zip disk.

I kept them all because it was not clear to me which ones had which
advantages.

The latest version is completely superior to all of the older versions,
except it is a little larger than the first two versions (but it does much
more).

I should delete the others. This latest one worked perfectly at two sites with .rm and .ram files. For some reason it makes a 640K cache with them, 320K with mp3, and 64K with wma files.

I listened to .rm and .mp3 at www.wfmu.org/ssaudionet.shtml. They also have ogg (pls and m3u) and AAC+ (pls and m3u). And I listened successfully to a link ending in .asx that looks like it connected to another link starting in mms and ending in .wma. I have lynx set up to 'view' .asx files but not .wma files. The .asx link appears to steer mplayer/lynx to the .wma, which it does play. Is this built into Mplayer?

The music is raucous rock. Ctrl-C.

I realized I had not included .ogg in either links.cfg or lynx.cfg.
When I added it, lynx/mplayer accessed an ogg link correctly.
This should also be added to links.cfg extension "ogg" "audio/x-ogg"
with appropriate association. I just posted my links.cfg with ogg.

Can I simply untar -zxvf my lynx package at sdf, make the changes, and repackage it without makepkg, and have it keep the /install/doinstall.sh?

Where do I get codecs for MPEG-4 formats aac and aac+ (aacPlus v1 and v2), which are touted as the latest and greatest and are used by Apple iTunes?

KZSU has mp3 and rm files that play, but if I choose Windows Media link
kzsu-live.stanford.edu/audio/kzsu-1.asx gets me to another page with the URL below, starting in mms but this time ending not in .wma but .asx.
It does not attempt to play this file. What is mms? Is it MPEG-4? I found something about PSS/MMS Audio Codec and extended AMR-WB.

lynx.cfg
SUFFIX:asx:video/x-ms-asx
VIEWER:video/x-ms-asx:mplayer -playlist %2
I even added:
VIEWER:audio/x-ms-asx

I can directly access this second URL and it plays:
mplayer mms://kzsu-sunsrv4.standford.edu/wmtencoder/kzsu-1s.asx

How do I fix lynx.cfg to play this directly from the original link? The page it takes me to is not even a link, and I would need to type it in manually to play it. Do I need a Windows codec from among the ones Steven listed to handle asx -> mms: asx ?

You could also, for BL, put ao=oss in
the config file as default. Mplayer won't play sounds without specifying
some sound system.

I have not had to specify any -ao option with BL. Perhaps that was
a bug that has been fixed in the latest version?
I will try some time without .mplayer/config.

I think there were five versions of MPlayer that I built:
No wonder I got confused.

5) Several people on the list eventually requested racook
and other codec support, so I added that to 4).

Did you actually include racook or do I still need the /codecs directory with codecs in it for rp9?

6) This one has not been built, so I cannot comment.
Expected features: working subtitles support, svgalib and
other output, perhaps a dynamic glibc version for BL2?

Subtitles seem to work as well in mplayer3 as on a DVD player. I can't choose the language with either of them and no remote control (But I can access more than the first track with Mplayer, FF various amounts, etc.)
Would the dynamic version be a lot smaller than this static one?

Will you include any more of the common codecs?

How do I use vidix? I notice it works with matrox, various ati cards, and nvidia, all of which also do framebuffer.

David